For the Butternut Squash Slices
- Peel squash with a sturdy vegetable peeler, then cut in half lengthwise. Cut off ends and scoop out the seeds.
- Slice halves into 1/3" slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper.
- Transfer slices onto a baking sheet coated with 1 tsp of olive oil
- Roast slices in oven at 430°F for 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through cooking time. Slices are done when fork passes through easily.
*Pro Tip* Leftover slices can be used to make more sandwiches, soup or a puree!
Putting Together the Sandwich
- Take one piece of bread and add sliced Brie on top of bread. Add a butternut slice or two over the Brie layer and spoon chili fig spread over it. Place remaining slice of bread over spread.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat
- Place sandwich in pan once butter is melted and cover the pan. Cook until bottom slice of bread is golden brown.
- When bottom slice is golden brown, add remaining 1 tbsp butter and flip sandwich. Again, cover pan and cook until bottom slice is golden brown, and cheese is thoroughly melted.