Calabrian peppers know how to bring the heat and they are a perfect foil for hearty and vegetal kale. This dish is perfect on its own but can also be topped with grilled chicken or salmon for a larger dinner. In the fall and winter this is a great warm side dish to serve with steak or roasted chicken. In the spring and summer, it can be served chilled or at room temperature with grilled burgers and chicken sandwiches.
- Heat oil, garlic, peppers and olives in a large sauté pan over medium heat until the garlic is softened and very fragrant, but not browned.
- Remove half of olive mixture and reserve for garnish.
- Add kale to sauté pan along with olive brine, 1/3 c of water, and cook covered for 2-3 minutes or until just slightly wilted.
- Uncover and cook until moisture is cooked off, another 2-3 minute.
- Serve with the reserved olive mixture scattered over top.