Sour Cherry Bars
- 1 c unsalted butter at room temperature, or 2 sticks
- 2 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 c extra-thick rolled oats
- 1/2 c pecans
- 1 jar Sour Cherry Spread
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a 9" x13" baking pan with parchment paper or foil
- In a small skillet, add the pecans and toast them over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes until they darken and start to smell toasted. Watch to make sure they don’t burn. Let them cool a bit then finely chop.
- Using a stand mixer set on medium speed, cream together butter and sugar for 3 to 5 minutes until mostly smooth
- Add the egg, almond and vanilla extract, and baking powder; stir to combine
- Turn the mixer to low and add flour 1 cup at a time. Once incorporated, add the oats and toasted pecans.
- Remove ¾ cup of the dough and set aside
- Spread the remaining dough in the lined baking pan so that it entirely covers the pan
- Using a spoon, spread sour cherry jam completely over dough
- Pinch off small pieces of the dough that was set aside and scatter them evenly over top of jam
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping turns golden brown
- When done baking, take out of oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and rest on a wire rack to finish cooling before cutting into bars and serving.