Caramelized Onion Soup
Appetizers & Sides
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp Renieris Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml)
- 3/4 c Caramelized Onion Jam
- 5 c your favorite stock (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch slices, toasted
- 4-6 oz Gruyere and Provolone cheese, grated
1. Over medium heat, warm oil in a large pot or Dutch oven
2. Add garlic and sauté until edges are slightly browned
2. Add onions and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent and slightly browned
3. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 30–40 minutes until onions are a deep, golden brown. Stir occasionally to keep the onions from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
4. Add onion jam, broth and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20–25 minutes
6. Ladle soup into 4 heatproof bowls. Top with toasted bread slices and grated cheese.
7. Broil 2–3 minutes until cheese is bubbly and browned