Any green olive will do for this green sauce, but we particularly like using Sicilian Castelvetrano. They are the prettiest bright green, meaty, and sweet.
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
- 4 cloves pickled garlic, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1–2 teaspoons finely chopped preserved lemon rind or 1 teaspoon finely
- grated lemon zest
- 1–2 pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2-pound torchetti or other dried short pasta
Stir together the olives, parsley, capers, garlic, anchovies, preserved lemon, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and olive oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water over high heat until just tender, 10–12 minutes. Drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the bowl with the sauce and toss well. Adjust the seasonings. Serve warm or at room temperature.