We’ve taken liberties with this Middle Eastern bulgur-flecked herb salad and substituted roasted tomatoes for raw. They give it a more robust flavor, though the fresh parsley and mint are really the outstanding heroes.
- 1 cup whole-grain red bulgur
- 4 cups parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted tomatoes, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Put the bulgur and 1 cup boiling water into a large bowl. Let sit until the bulgur swells and has absorbed all the water, about 1 hour. Fluff the bulgur with a fork.
Add the parsley, scallions, mint, and roasted tomatoes to the bowl and toss well. Season with the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.