There are other short pasta shapes that could be used for this dish, but orecchiette, named for its dimpled round shape resembling small ears, is suited to cup the chickpeas perfectly.
- ½ pound orecchiette pasta
- 1 cup Mediterranean chickpeas in marinade
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8–10 minutes. Drain the pasta.
Put the pasta in a large bowl. Add chickpeas, olive oil, and dill. Finely grate the zest of the lemon over the pasta. Add the juice from half of the lemon. Season with salt and pepper. Toss well, adjust the seasonings, and serve.